Thursday, February 12, 2009

George Writes of Elsie Janis


15G
Somewhere in France
7-24-18

Dear Brother and Sister Weber:
Having received No 43 from “you all” as they say in Houston, I have by intricate? Mathematical processes arrived at the ultimate conclusion that I owe you 28 letters to date, not counting the numerous ones I hope you have on the way to me by now. If you don’t believe it, compare the Data at the head of this letter with that at hand and see if I can not prove my proposition. G. E. D.
Next, before I forget it, let me call to your attention the fact that we had the rare and extreme pleasure of hearing Miss Elsie Janice[his spelling][1] (of Stage and Vaudeville fame) give us an entertainment a la American, the other evening. If you have ever been skeptical regarding the sincerity or bravery of some of the actors, etc. who come over to entertain the boys, forget it.
Miss Elsie at least had proved herself a little soldier, at least most of us feel that way. For it is certainly not money or notoriety she is seeking here under Jerry’s nose, within reach of his shells and bombs, for she had plenty of both the former back in the states and she is taking much the same chance with the latter that we are in her work over here. From the time she stepped on the crude stage provided, until she finished her stories, songs and dance, she typified for most of us a real American girl, and she started a train of reminiscences which will stay with us for days.
Also, give the Y.M.C.A. and Red Cross a boost when you can, for they are much in evidence over here and in my estimation are doing all they can for the boys of all the allied armies. Now I’ll bring this to a hasty close with love to all my home folks.
Your loving brother,
George
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsie_Janis Note that photo was stated to be copyright free.

No comments: