Wednesday, February 04, 2009

George Writes from Somewhere in France


Two days after arriving in France, George Sherwood writes home to the folks in Wisconsin. On the old family farm lived his parents Will and Ella Jane as well as his sister Susan and her husband Herman who shared the 14 room farmhouse that had been in the family since 1868. The newer third of the home had been renovated so David and Rosina Stevens (Ella Jane's parents) could live with them in their declining years. They had passed away in 1910 and 1912 respectively. The tradition of the families living together continued to the next generation as it had actually begun when Will and Ella Jane welcomed Richard and Grace Sherwood to stay with them after they were married and Will was renting the farm.
David and Rosina and Will and Ella Jane are all buried together under one large monument in the Kendall cemetery. Herman and Susan joined them only a few steps away decades later.
The love of family is so apparent in the history of this family. I love Uncle George's letters and am delighted that I remember him when I was a child. How fun it would have been to have been old enough to hear these stories from him directly, but I love that the words are recorded for all of us here. I appreciate all the history recorded on the envelope as well as the letterhead of the writing paper, both of which are included here.

My dear Home Folks:

Another warm, sunny day beams down on us over here “somewhere in France.” I should imagine it would be rather interesting to you over there to try to guess where I am when I write each time for tho I may be able to tell when we move some of the time, it will always have to be “Somewhere in Europe” etc. regarding where we are.

Haven’t been able to pick up any of the French language yet, but am getting used to their money and its values compared to ours a little. Candy, soap and shoe polish seem to be very high and hard to get, at least here. But some candy and tobacco can procured at the U.S. Commissary quite reasonably. I haven’t received any mail yet since we arrived here, but that is rather natural I expect. Do not expect letters from me more than on an average of one per week as there is little one can write about and so there is no use bothering the Co. Commander to censor a lot of foolish palaver, and add more to the already congested mail.

I think I forgot to number my last letter, so I’ll call this 9G and try once more to keep track as I go along.

This is a very pretty country around here, especially as it is just like spring here now. I am well except a slight cold. Wish I knew the same for all of you at home.

Will close with love and best wishes from – France –.

Your loving son and brother,

George
Greetings to everyone of my friends and get them to write.

OK
J. C. Campbell
1st Lieu., 108th Engrs.

No comments: