Monday, January 26, 2009

My Dear Little Hummingbird Friend

What I love most about doing most of my work from home (besides being able to wear jammie's and slippers on some lazy mornings) is the fun of watching all my small bird friends go about their daily business of feeding, bathing, preening and bickering. Not the least of these is the least in size - my small hummingbird friends. They do all of the above and particularly enjoy being as territorial as possible. During our last weeks trip to Portland, OR to visit mom, I sent out an SOS to my neighbor when we discovered the weather was supposed to get colder and maybe even snow. Well, it did all of the above and Teresa rose to the occasion and both mornings we were gone she came over and exchanged the warm hummingbird syrup sitting on the counter with the frozen nectar hanging in the tree. One of the two mornings our "little friends" were waiting on the frozen feeder and as soon as she replaced it were drinking happily.
Today the weather had remained cold all day and I had to change out the food twice as it froze within two hours of being put out this morning. I also had to melt the window feeder and it has been well-used today by my favorite little male. I'm so pleased the Anna's stay here over the winter and don't go south like our Rufus friends, but it does give us responsibility for their well-being now that we've allowed them to rely upon us. We feed them all winter and through the spring; once summer and all the glorious flower come, they rarely come to the feeders. And why would they with real nectar to be had all over the yard. A few minutes ago I was able to capture the images here -- my camera can't keep up with the speed of the wings, so he does look a bit wingless in these photos! Enjoy - I certainly am!!

2 comments:

Mikybarb said...

Wow, That is so neat! I love hummingbirds! (I can't imagine how cold it must be if the food freezes in 2 hours outside! It was about 42 degrees this morning taking the kids to school and we all thought we were going to freeze. I know, it's all in what you're used to.) Thanks for sharing the great photos!

Lightkeeper said...

We've had a really cold winter this year - I believe that is known as the Gore Effect! It would be good if we would get more rain; this cold, clear weather is different for us. I love my little hummingbird friends!