Saturday, January 10, 2015

On the Road Across America -- Day Four

New Year 2015 dawned slightly cloudy and decidedly crisp!  This was our coldest day thus far - somewhere around 14 degrees when the sun came up.  (In an aside, I must say I was impressed with my daughter.  She not only paid for all meals, hotels and coffees, but she also took the luggage in and out of the hotel and warmed the car and had gas in it ready to go when it was time to leave.  Woo-Hoo -- I loved it!  AND her car had heated seats - I've got to get some of those!!)
 On the road by Pickerel Lake, MN. 
Perhaps someone can explain why when we were going through Blue Earth that the phone camera decided on its own (apparently) to give us blue tones?  Very clever, but not planned.
More beautiful Minnesota (still Blue Earth but natural color)
My daughter, who would prefer the Navy to the Army, provided this "Minnesota at Sea" view of another beautiful farmland!
I love farms!
Wind farms here and there.  This near Rushmore - Dewald
 These four photos are surprising in that they were not "meant" to be black and white. Perhaps the contrast just convinced the phone camera that that was what it was.  Love the "artsy" effect.  I think black and white looks colder than color.
We crossed into South Dakota and all was again in color!
I always have fond memories of Rapid City.  We moved there first when I was three.  My mother went into labor almost as soon as we got into town.  I think, altho I could be remembering my father's story wrong, we took mom to the hospital and then went looking for a hotel  After we found room at the inn (not quite like the Bethlehem story) but definitely stressful for the adults involved, we then went back to await Venca's birth.  Fortunately it all turned out well! (Miss you Sis!) We  moved away for awhile, but then returned to Rapid City when I was 6 and starting first grade. I attended Zion Lutheran School for first and second grade.  Miss Klepel was my first teacher! 
Above and below; Chamberlain SD
Kennebec
Now we see "South Dakota at Sea!"  Not likely that this state will otherwise see the ocean!
Murdo-Central Jones - the kind of weather we had most of the way; some clouds but mostly clear and cold.
We got to Rapid City at dusk.  Wanted to go a little further so kept on going.
Is it only fitting that as we went past Black Hawk that  the photo again turned "black and white."  No accounting! Perhaps someone could enlighten me about this phenomenon.
Piedmont area as it gets darker -above and below
Also Piedmont
The sun was long gone as we drove into Wyoming and on to Gillette where we spent the night.  This was our longest day and the most night driving.  652 miles that day since leaving Albert Lea.   Another warm and wonderful Comfort Inn and a great dinner at a Mexican restaurant across the way. 
 
 
 
 

No comments: