Thursday, November 27, 2014

East Orange, Vermont -- June 16, 1909

 This postcard, a view of East Orange, Vermont,  was sent by 17 year old Eva Richardson to her great aunt, my Great-Great Grandmother Rosina Jane Richardson Stevens who at that time was 74 years old and had been gone from Vermont for more than 50 years.  But Jane, as she was known, was very familiar with all the Vermont Towns of Topsham, Corinth, Orange, and Washington.  She had been born in Topsham, Vermont in  1835 and when 21 she and her new husband, David Stevens, also of Topsham, moved to Wisconsin. 
I do not know if any of the farms seen in this photograph were the farm that Eva's parents, William and Bertha (Page) Richardson. The church still looks almost the same today but is painted in a nice, colorful manner which does not show up in this old postcard. 

A couple of years after sending this postcard, Eva married a Frank Richardson -- so no name change for her -- but confusing for family history buffs!  They had six children, one boy and five girls. Eva lived to be 77 years old and is now buried in Waits River Cemetery -- just down the road a piece.
Our family tree is packed with Richardsons, Dexters, Kings, Welchs, and Pages as well as Healys, Churchs and Tabors. It is fun to wander around Vermont and New Hampshire and come upon the family names on road signs, like this one in Washington, Vt. Maybe someday I will find out which part of the family named this road.  And since Washington is right next to East Orange, maybe the William and Bertha Richardson land is in the view on the post card.-- but we'll likely never know!


3 comments:

Susan said...

Hi, I just came across this posting of East Orange. I am very much involved with the church and am wondering if I could get a copy of this postcard. My family knew Kermit Richardson's family very well. Thank you.

Lightkeeper said...

Susan,
Sorry I hadn't checked comments in a while. Yes, feel free to copy the postcard. If you know anyone who lived in the farms or homes/businesses. I want information to go to any family member who is interested in our shared ancestry.
Kathy

Ken Batten said...

Aunt Eva Richardson was my Grandmother Christie Richardson Johnson's sister. I remember her living in Waits River when I was a kid.