Saturday, September 13, 2014

Searching for the Perfect Tile - A Coversation on Line

Due to the fact that my husband is laid up after surgery and a bit drugged for pain, I took a journey to look at tiles for the basement (hallway, laundry and bath).  Since I couldn't bring Mohammad to the Mountain (as they say) I am attempting to bring the Mountain to Mohammad.  Hm.. Are we allowed to say that  any more?  I will no doubt hear from the PC police if that is now considered Taboo.
Back to the tile  - Option One
Initially I would say that this is one of my favorites.  I really like the combination.  The gray is the regular tiles. The patterned strip is marble.   
 This camera shot is taken without flash.
 This is with flash to show a different lighting.
 This is a close-up of the marble strip. It lies flush with the tile.
This is the tile  information for reference.
 If we wanted to do the entire area in the marble, we could but it seems a bit like overkill in design AND it would be $18 per square foot -- which seems particularly price for a laundry room :-).
Option Two
 This is basically the same idea, lighter color main tile and more brown marble accents.
 This is a close-up of the marble.  The two marble sections (this option and option 1) would need to be sealed.  The regular porcelain tile would not.  We could also do all brown marble - again a bit much for the space.
 
Option Three
 I have always liked white or at least light colored flooring. What makes it appealing is that it looks so nice and clean.  The drawback is that it easily looks not so clean and is a PITB to keep that way.  Note view with flash and without.
 Since this is a very light gray instead of white, it would make maintenance a bit easier.  I like the black diamond accents. 
Option 4
 Lighting differences above and below. This tile has a little texture to it, but not enough, I don't believe, to be a hazard when we get old! 

 I'm not 100% sure about the pattern of this one. I like the tiles, but maybe not the multiple strips of accent. It might look good as a stand alone tile pattern.

Option 5 - Maybe one, maybe two
 I can't remember now if the tile above and below were attached to the larger tile below these two or not.   I like the idea of accent pieces throughout the larger layout.
 I like these tiles as well.  They are a bit more pricy - about 2.5 X as much per square feet.  
 
Option 6
 Here is another bit pricier tile, but a nice consistent design.
  Option 7
We could go for a smaller tile.  According to sales rep, larger tiles make the space look larger. Smaller tiles then might reinforce the small space area.
 Different combinations of tiles -- I think for example not to be installed in that fashion. 
Examples of different ways to lay the same tiles -- simple esthetics and preference. 
 Well, there you are!  Today's journey to the tile store and options discovered.
Oh, there are other options, but they are rather pricy! 
 We could just go for straight marble!  Pretend we live in a palace or cathedral or the state capitol or maybe even a museum. Well, we do live in a museum of sorts, but not really of the stature of marble furnishing!  Enjoy browsing around! 
 



No comments: