Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Great Waffletown USA Mural

My husband and I just returned from a vacation trip to Norfolk, Virginia to visit our Army daughter.   Getting to the Navy Lodge hotel where we were planning to stay was quite the adventure.  Hearing that we were going to Virginia Beach the car rental guy sent us off on a journey from one highway to another.  My husband, having made the reservation, at least had an idea where the Navy Lodge was -- at Little Creek Naval Station -- and where that was compared to Fort Story.  I on the other hand had no idea where it was and was the driver.  We could have paid to add a GPS, but that takes all the adventure out of learning a new place (and being cheap, well. . .)

After realizing we were not going to get where we wanted to go any time soon, my husband called the Lodge and they gave us directions on how to turn around and how to get to Little Creek.  It was a Wednesday evening rush hour so it was not much fun but we did arrive safe and sound.  Ironically, on our return from the Lodge to the airport four days later, we discovered that all it took was one right turn and three lefts to get to the airport.  We said goodbye to the Base at gate 3,  took a right.  Went north to the main gate, took a left.   Went to Azalea Garden drive, took a left.   Went to Norview, took a left and there we were.  It was SO QUICK I seriously thought we were at some small regional airport and not the International.  Basically our trip was driving around the airport to the other side and there is likely even a shorter route!
But as usual, I digress.  We met our daughter, spent some time, sent her off to finish her work week and went to bed and to sleep.  We slept a full twelve hours - ten to ten --  and then went looking for coffee and breakfast.  A few blocks and we came across Waffletown USA (not to be confused with Waffle House) and agreed that "this looks good."  The food was very good but an additional treat was a mural covering more than the width of the dining area.  This distant photo I took later, the morning that we left, so that I could add some perspective and not just all the detailed close-ups that I had taken before.  You can just see the mural covering the back wall -- and because they were moving the employees have conveniently taken care of disguising their of faces to avoid facial recognition! 

I also have the option to do videos with my camera.  I was going to say "ability" but that might give the wrong impression.  This was a trick I only learned after my niece Emma had played with my camera while we were traveling in the car.  After I returned home, I saw a really odd looking photo and discovered she had videotaped knees, arms and backs of car seats.  What a surprise!  The last time I used it was a year ago at the boot camp graduation of the same daughter. I decided to try it here again to give perspective.  I think I did a great job on the video "overview" of the mural, but couldn't remember  at the end how to turn the video off.  Finally I just turned off the camera!  At this point in this narrative I know that both of my daughters are rolling their eyes -- and their friends too if they ever come upon this missive!  The friends at least won't roll their eyes in my presence.  Look at that -- my video works -- isn't technology wonderful?
Sorry about the motion-sickness there at the end!  The following are more close-ups of the entire mural (and they hold still).  It was painted by a man named James Johnson.  I haven't found out any more about him, but I love this mural and want to give him credit.
The very first thing that caught our eye as we were seated at this table in the corner was not only the mural in general, but specifically the wonderful Coast Guard Cutter Eagle catching the breezes as it flew across the bay. 
The mural continues beyond the door with the beach, the underwater bridge and some of the shoreline.  In the distance you can see the double lighthouses - the original Cape Henry lighthouse on the right and the New Cape Henry lighthouse on the left standing watch in the same area where the original Jamestown settlers first came ashore thanked God that they had survived. 
In the last two sections of the mural above there is the close up of the beach and the surrounding area.  And the small yellow sign right above that customer's head is "Waffletown USA" and so you can know exactly where you are!  It is quite clever and it was with this "map" that I began to orient myself and had a starting place to create the new "map in my head" that is my usual way of finding my way around.  Finding this wonderful little restaurant on our first morning in town was an auspicious beginning for our five days of fun and relaxation! 

Waffletown USA, you can find specific information about Waffletown USA at this link -- http://waffletownusa.com/

For a more detailed view of the mural, here you go!  The details are very fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a cool mural! Mom is from Portsmouth VA and the next time we go back I'll be sure to check it out.
McCuz Kristina