Sunday, June 22, 2014

Prohibition and the Sherwoods of Spring Brook Farm

When I was growing up my parents did not drink alcohol of any kind -- at least not knowingly.   My dad came by his strong views legitimately, being the son, grandson and great-grandson of strong  prohibitionists. When he was 21 he signed a pledge to never drink alcohol and never did, at least not knowingly.  He gave his word and never looked back.

I came across this letter written to Nellie Thompson, my great-great grandmother's youngest sister.  The author of the letter, Florence Ida Richardson Wallace, was the daughter of Nellie's brother Robert Fletcher Richardson II  (named for his grandfather, not his father).   Nellie, the youngest of the siblings,  was born in Vermont in 1847, married George Thompson and lived in the Dakota Territory and later in Washington Territory, over on the Palouse.  After George Thompson (in 1914) and their daughter Myrtille (1902) had both passed away, she returned to Wisconsin to live near her niece, Ella Stevens Atwater Sherwood, my great-grandmother. 

1924-1207 – Florence Ida Richardson Wallace to Eva (Nellie) Richardson Thompson
Waterbury, VT
Dec 7, 1924
Dear Auntie:
            Yes, I can get you the book you wanted but they didn’t have it at the store where I got the other one so cheap. I sent to the publisher at Boston and it came today.  I changed the address and started it for Wisconsin this afternoon. I would have had the publisher sent it direct to you but I wasn’t quite sure they would have it.  Last year I wrote them for four Pansy books and they only had one of the four I wanted.  Said many of her books were out of print now.  Several years ago they printed a cheaper edition of ten of her books.  They are 50 cents.  The reading is just as good but the bind and the paper isn’t of course.  The list of those ten is on the cover of the book I think.  I have nine of those books and ten of the $1.50 edition or some of the children have them.
            When I was a girl I read a lot of Pansy books.  They had them at the East Orange S.S. [Sunday School] library but I couldn’t find but four or five at our S.S. library here inWaterbury. I wanted the children to read her books so I began to buy them when I had any money to spare.  Have given the children each one for their own.  The girls have more than one but it was hard work to find boys stories enough to go round.  Do you remember the names of those you reading Dakota?  Was wondering if they were any of those I have read.  I can remember 35 that I’ve read. I wish I had every one she wrote.
            I am sorry Ella doesn’t get strong again.  It is so hard to have stomach troubles.  Hope Dura doesn’t get cold again. But it’s a good job done where her teeth are out.  Mine used to bother me so that I was awful glad when the last one was out. Lelia will be home Friday I expect, but is so far William won’t try to come, fare is so much.
                                                                      Love to all,
                                                                                Florence
* * * * *
This particular letter was written in 1924.  While dealing with our parents estate, my brother and I came across some of the Pansy Books referred to in the letter and the ones I have are in the photo above.  I don't know exactly where the letter is, but I have another letter where some relative or another is rejoicing that prohibition has passed and that future generations will not have to deal with the terrible consequences that come with alcohol.
Prohibition was in effect from 1920 to 1933.  I was surprised to read on Wikipedia today that in spite of it being so controversial and having so many unintended consequences such as bootlegging and mafia, that overall alcohol consumption in society dropped by half.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States.
As I read an article today on Mynorthwest.com about the unintended consequences of the legalization of marijuana -- just after reading and transcribing this letter to Aunt Nellie -- I could only imagine these relatives incredulity after all their hard work, at the decisions being made by this current generation in Washington and Colorado.   http://mynorthwest.com/11/2549192/Pot-Boom 

The Pansy books were a strong force in the prohibition movement.  The author used fiction stories to tell the tales of the destruction and havoc that alcohol brought to families.  The stories center a lot on the victims of alcohol, particularly the wives and children who were impoverished because of the hold that the need to drink by their breadwinners brought to their families.
 I also came across a website that has a lot of information on the Pansy books -- and to my surprise, one of my favorite authors when I was young, Grace Livingston Hill, was her niece.  Pansy wrote about 200 books -- maybe more.  And the whole point of her books was to share Jesus with others.  What a great woman!  Well, a day is not lost where you learn something new!  http://isabellamacdonaldalden.com/about.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your letter is a wonderful treasure! So many of the Pansy books had a temperance theme - one even included an incident where a drunk driver killed the main character's fiance - a drunk driver on a horse-drawn vehicle! Grace Livingston Hill also wrote temperance pieces for magazines of the day. Thanks for linking to our Pansy website. You can learn more about her niece at our companion site, gracelivingstonhill.com