Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Letter from Carl to Bob and Mary and Families

Uncle Carl around 1951

August 23, 1971

Dear Ones All:

I think the only way I will get a letter of to any of you is to write it when I have a few minutes at work during my lunch hour or when time permits.  If I write small enough I can get it all on one page and run each and every one off a copy and this will be my letter for 1971 (also ‘70 & ‘69).

First, I apologize to you, Sis, for not writing when you and Steve were so ill with hepatitis [I think Mary wrote elsewhere that they ended up having some other kind of liver problem.].. My prayers were and are still with you for a speedy and blessed recovery. The Good Lord has always blessed me with good health and even with my surgery He has always been there with a healing hand. Too many of us take good health for granted – when it is really one of our richest blessings and our family has been so blessed. May God continue to watch over you and yours in your work there in this time of illness – and turmoil in the country [they were living in Bolivia]. Also I read a letter from you folks while I was up at mothers last time and also one from Bob and family. It sounds like you Oregonians are right in the middle of what we did last year – only it sounds like you are doing most of the building yourselves. This sort of project really is something to be proud of when its done and your own project. We designed and planned our own but had a deadline to reach so just couldn’t do what you are doing out there. I can see where we will have to plan a vacation out that way in the future to see your lovely new home. We have spent most of our spring and summer trying to get the landscaping done and have the front about 75/% complete. We have yet to finish the front walk and build the step up the wall. This is the project we are at in our “off hours.” Next year is backyard year and that will include sodding the back yard and creating a patio so we won’t run out of work for a while. We have invited the Weber Reunion down here next August and will celebrate our patio and backyard. Maybe you should invite them out there the following year, Bob and really get things moving. But everyone is invited next year to our place for the Reunion.

Before I close this, I would like to tell you about Gary’s latest experience. As most of you know when we lived on College St., our closes friends and neighbors for 15 years were the Rog Johnsons – who now live in Florida. They were up to visit in July and insisted Gary Scott go back with them. Yes, we let him go – for about 16 days, 14 in Florida. How did he get home?? Sunday he flew home on a 727 Eastern and we met him at O’Hare after flying non-stop from Orlando, Fla. He really had a wonderful time and we sure are grateful to Johnson’s for giving him this wonderful two weeks vacation.

Must close now. Love from all of us to each and every one of you.

Love and Prayers,

Carl

No comments: