Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Big Bird Bath Day

Fall is coming on and it must be a good day for birds to get a good bath and to clean up before the long cold winter comes when it will be a little nippy for diving into cold water.  Today while I've been working I've had to stop a few times and try to take photos of my nervous little friends.  Above is a Junco.  Birds that have enjoyed the spa, but who were too nervous to be documented include a Chestnut Backed Chicadee and Gold Finches (immatures and adults).  I had three little Golden Crowned Kinglet's come by (photo below) and they certainly are nervous!  But in the middle of it I was surprised and delighted to discover that what was in the camera viewfinder was a Townsend's Warbler rather than the Kinglet I had started to photograph.  What a treat.  In the 3rd photo little Towney demonstrates how to get really clean. 
 

Then the Kinglet's returned.  Most photos ended up blurry as they flapped and danced and ducked their heads under water.  But the slowed momentarily for documentation.  

 Finally a little Black Capped Chicadee hopped into the mix and scattered Chestnut Backed Chicakees and Gold Finches. 
I love having the bird bath right next to my window.  Such a delightful group of small winged friends.  The Anna's hummingbirds (male and female) are having a heyday as well but aren't stopping by to bathe at the moment.  They go for the top of the fountain more than the birdbath altho ONCE I did see the male come to the birdbath. 

No comments: