Friday, June 29, 2012

Preparing to go OVER THERE

Uncle George Stevens Sherwood, while in training at Camp Logan before heading off to WWI, sent many letters and photos home.  Not all have been matched up to the letters.  We were able to match up one photo with this letter as well as  a not listed but still fun photo of George and his "tentmates."   First names are missing, but tentmates are "Wahlstadt, Marshall and Sherwood."

"Camp Logan, Houston, Tex.

Sunday, P.M. Oct 28, ‘17

Well, here I am back in my tent. Just got back from town, where I went with Mohr, whose picture I herein enclose. We took a jitney and got to the M. E. church just in time for church, 10:30 A.M. Were treated fine by the people there. Heard some fine music by choir, also vocal and violin solos, then a fair sermon. Got out of church at 12:45. Just went straight from there down to Thompson’s Cafeteria where two poached eggs on toast and a piece of hot mince pie set me back 25 cents but they were worth it at that. Then we walked out to the union station and around town awhile, then went to a movie then chartered a fliver and came back to camp. And now I am writing to my dear folks back home, or at least trying to when the noise in here will allow me to.
You ask for a sketch of our days work. So I give an abbrieved (coined by me) schedule:

5:45 First Call
6:00 Assembly and Roll Call (as fully dressed)
6:10 Physical exercise
6:30 Mess
8:00 Drill or Detail work
12:00 Mess
1:30 Drill, work or loaf
5:30 Retreat
6:00 Mess
10:00 Taps –lights out

(Photo of Mohn - otherwise known as #5 below)

I am still waiting to hear how much I owe you.
This is a nice sunshiny day with cool breeze blowing.
If I don’t get down to real work soon I will be as fat as ever, I guess. Did I tell you before that we have received over 1,000 draft men from Rockford.

Now to explain the views or snapshots, I should say.
No. 1 is explained on the back. Our tent is next to last to be seen at far end of street.
No. 2. Mohr took of me when I was grinning and faking a salute, not thinking he was ready to shoot.
No. 3 Also explained on back.
No. 4 Lowery and I are studying surveying out of my book together.
No. 5. I snapped of Mohn so you could see what my pal looked like. Also so I’d have one to keep.
No. 6 was also taken the day of the Liberty Loan Celebration.

I will send you some more soon. Don’t for heavens sake let anyone see No. 2. It is awful.

Love to al,

George Sherwood"



No comments: