Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Lines to an Absent Husband

Lines to an Absent Husband


Dearest Husband, Friend, Companion
Solace of my earthly joys
None so near in heart communion
None like this each grief destroy.

Absence us has separated;
Days like weeks they seem to be.
Time I have not overrated
Thought the weeks are only three.

From your presence I’m absented
Though in spirit feel thee near
Cannot from you be contented
Though I mingle with friends dear.

Could your presence be demanded
Swift I’d call you to my arms
But this boon must be suspended
Enjoyment seek in other charms.

Love hath bound us in affection
May this ever be our theme
When we can on retrospection
Glance with pleasure on life’s scenes

Heaven lend thee richest blessing
Scatter flowers in your way
Those immortal worth possessing
Wreathe thy brow in endless day

Heaven keep thee dear companion
In the path of duty go.
May our souls enjoy reunion
If we meet no more below.

Mary W. H. R.


*Mary Wight Healy was one of the daughters of the Nathaniel Healy -- of yesterday's post on the death of his brother. Mary Wight Healy was born on 10 Aug 1822. She married Abiel Graham Richardson in 1843 or thereabouts. They apparently had two children, Clarence, who shows up in the census records and Carona H Richardson, born in the 1850's of whom I have so far found out little so don't know how long she lived. Abiel Richardson worked as a carpenter and also as a farmer, but his first love was being a minister. He died in 1892 and Mary lived at least until 1900 when she shows up living with her son Clarence, his wife Eva and their three children in the 1900 US Census. I am always a little surprised by Mary's hairline in this photo, but I've always heard that this is what happens when you wear your hair tightly tied back, and apparently it is true!

2 comments:

Mikybarb said...

Wow, those are great photos! Thank you for the insights into their lives. How neat that she wrote poetry. Wow, I hadn't noticed her hair in the photo until you mentioned it. (She said...taking out her ponytail...) Yikes. Maybe I'll start wearing my hair down more...
Have a great day!
Barb

Lightkeeper said...

I don't think you have to worry! Maybe it was something else :-). I can't believe the old grandparents were such packhounds. I love the Nathaniel Healy one the day before. What did you think of that? Could you believe it was really written in 1807? I'm sure this was a copy, but still, wow! Aren't we lucky. Also, check out my new photos on the family tree for Church and Elizabeth Steel Tabor and Jane Steel.