Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Gossip and Fun from 1886 Wisconsin

In this entry my great-grandfather, while he was living in Elgin, Minnesota (and apparently when he met my great-grandmother, altho learning about how they met hasn't been come across yet :-)), has received a letter from his younger sister Grace who is still at home in Glendale (now Kendall), Wisconsin. This letter shows in community relationships that the more things change, the more they stay the same!!

Glendale, Jan 10 – 1886

My Dear Brother,
Your letters came among a good many others in due time. Was glad to hear you had so good a time Christmas and that you took part in the exercises as it all helps to pass away the time pleasantly. We had a grand good time at Lemonweir. Took in three dances and went to the Catholic Church Xmas morn – it was the first time I had ever been in the church. It is finished off lovely inside and the singing was very good.
I must tell you what I got for presents. First an Album from Pa, Aunt G, Mariam and Sam. A hand mirror “plush back” from Susie, handkerchief from Clara, perfume from Auntie. I think I fared pretty well, don’t you.
I went to a Masquerade New Year and had a grand time. There were over sixty numbers. I went with Levi Brown and Lew and Jimmie Gallagher’s. They went masked but I had never been anywhere with him before so that they didn’t anyone know me. My suit was the prettiest in the hall; it was to represent night in a snowstorm. Every one caught on so it must have been quite “plain” – see?
Well, Will, we have had quite a tragedy here in the neighborhood. Old Andrew Smith poisoned himself last Sun. You perhaps have heard that his wife left him a short time ago. He has threatened to kill the children but Mr. Dunning took them away from him. There is no doubt in people’s minds that he was crazy. The account will be in the
Elroy paper next week. Will send it to you. He died at Mr. Senegal’s and it gave them a fearful scare. It must have been a fearful death from all accounts. It was his request to be buried on his farm and he staked his grave out.
We were over there one evening last week and Mr. Dunlap’s folks were there. The same evening we woke up the valley over there in big shape. Sam said he guessed Old Andrew would turn over if we didn’t stop making such a noise.
Marthy says they killed him trying to make him vomit up the poison by giving him tobacco juice. She is the worst old seed I ever saw.
Harry is married and they have gone to Sparta to live and Nell’s father was cranky about the marriage but guess he will come around all right.
We were over to Cutlands today; had a first rate good time.
Susie was as well as usual when we last heard from her. And the rest are all well. I am going up to Elmer’s the first of next week.
Well, I must say good night and get some something to eat as I am hungry.
Your loving sister,
Grace

No comments: