Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Rumor Has It -- George Meets the Love of His Life

This letter was written from Dora to her sister and family, but really was meant for their parents Will and Ella Jane Sherwood and likely Aunt Nellie Thompson as well. Nellie lived in Glendale, but the Sherwoods and the Webers lived on Spring Brook Farm in Kendall, Wisconsin together.

1921-0827 – Dora Sherwood Lindsay to Susan Sherwood Weber

Castle Gate, Utah, Aug 27

Dear Sister. . .
I’m wondering tonight what frame of mind you are all in tonight. I presume you have heard from George and wonder if his letter to you is an un-explanatory as the one we received a day or two ago. He had written it the day after sending yours but we had had no mail for days owing to the widespread wash-outs. Truly we don’t now whether he has committed matrimony or is merely contemplating such a thing but I wrote to them both and asked them to come up and think if they do I may learn the facts. George wrote a beautiful letter which left no doubt that he is very happy and proud. We’ve talked that sort of thing many times and of course after having fallen in love in fifteen minutes and married on the price of the next meal only. Guy and I have always told George that he would meet his fate quite unexpectedly some day and there was no use in figuring it all out in dollars and cents and years. I only hope his experience will be just half as satisfactory as mine has been – he will never regret it if it is.
Guy just called from Price to say he would not be home tonight. He dashed in about 4:30 to say he was going to Sunnyside (40 mi.). The railroad was out and would not be repaired for days so the Sunnyside pay had been unloaded here and an auto load of guards were taking it to Sunnyside. It was a good many thousands in cash and they were taking no chances. I was very glad to hear from him and know they got over without accident or adventure. The country is full of idle, discontented and vicious men and in no place do they gather more than in the vicinity of these big industrial centers, manufacturing, mining, etc. I presume that nowhere could you go into a picture show and see a more varied group than at Helper. One night long ago Guy and I commented upon the fact that every race (color) and dozens of nationalities were presented in the house.
The kiddies are sleeping. It is so seldom that I can get a quiet moment free from all these unless it is a very late hour. After I’ve gotten the two elders to bed, Marjorie usually wakes for a little while, sometimes an hour or so. But then they are all very good babies and we are so happy with them. I do have to laugh at the funny little lock which sticks up on Marjorie’s crown just like her dad’s, and even the wrinkles and creases which match his. It does seem almost too bad she was not a boy since she is so like Guy but now we have known her we would not trade her for all the boys in the world. Besides being long she is a very active little person and at 6 weeks could not keep her feet pinned up. I’d made her dresses all short 20 in (only a few left over pieces being enough and those only to be worn once or twice for associations sake) so now she is out of pinners and in shorts all at once. Her little legs look so cute in hose and booties and she loves to lie and kick – and wiggle and grunt.
I’ve been trying to make some calls for two weeks and every afternoon it rains. The first trains from the east went thro here this morning, just a week out of Denver and tied up at Price unable to get either way. (See clippings). Oh, I failed to mention that near neighbors who have known Atha all her life say she is a very sweet girl.
Good night now, Lovingly
Dora

3 comments:

Mikybarb said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! When I begin to read these letters I am spellbound, trying to imagine their lives. Thank you for sharing these treasures!!!
Barb

Lightkeeper said...

I agree, Barbara, I love reading these and feel completely blessed that they weren't thrown away. Does your mom have a computer, or does she have to rely on you to read them. I'll add you, and anyone else who wants, to my family email list. What I do is transcribe them and then send them out to the group. I archive the originals and print a copy of the typed version. How about your sister?

What's really cool too is I have a letter from Dora to Susan talking about them going through and reading these letters and feeling that God had preserved them. I often feel that way too!

If I can remember what year it was, I'll try to add a little poem Susan wrote.

Mikybarb said...

Wow, I was thinking that they had been preserved as a gift as well. I love experiencing the faith that these dear women had through their letters!
Thanks again!